nathalie.ie | photos and finds for the creative and curious
Photography

One man's trash

Armed with my new camera gear and the best of intentions, I went on a walk around my estate this morning to try and get some pretty macro sots. Sadly, it was a dull overcast day and what little fauna had been around had been fairly destroyed by the snow.

I came to the long, stony clearing that’s often frequented by the young and the restless. It was a fairly littered, depressing sight, but I was itching to use my new lens, so decided to give myself an assignment: try and shoot things that weren’t meant to be there. It started with the obvious – bottle tops and beer cans, wrappers and old newspapers. But there were a few surprises; one of those trays used for deep fat frying, a circuit board thingie, a couple of shells, and, weirdly, a lone carrot.

They might not be my prettiest pics, but it was a good way of learning that there is always something to shoot.

You Might Also Like...

6 Comments

Catherine
    January 2, 2011 at 8:04 pm

The lone carrot perhaps left over from one of the many snowmen of December?

Lovely shots – some really unusual colour combinations.

Nathalie
    January 3, 2011 at 10:59 am

But of course it’s from a snowman! Someone mentioned that to me on Twitter yesterday and I was like, ‘DUH’! I hope you’re having fun with your new baby πŸ™‚

Gav
    January 20, 2011 at 10:32 am

There is something oddly captivating and beautiful about that circuit board. I’m usually really upset by litter in that kind of environment but there’s a nice marriage of nature and technology in that one. Gorgeous. πŸ™‚

Nathalie
      January 20, 2011 at 10:43 am

That’s my fave shot! There was something weirdly pretty about it, I couldn’t stop snapping it.

Denise Heffernan
    March 2, 2011 at 3:41 pm

Love the circuit board shot too. Really nice. Good luck with the blog awards too! πŸ™‚

Nathalie
      March 2, 2011 at 3:49 pm

Thanks a mill Denise πŸ™‚ Delighted with to have even made the shortlist to be honest. And thank you, the circuit board shot is my fave – it’s amazing what ends up in the middle of an estate isn’t it?