I used to be terrible for skipping breakfast and running out the door, and, to be honest, when I first started seeing Liz and changing my eating habits, I thought that would be one of the harder things to get right. But we’ve started making the effort to set aside time on Sunday to chop and prep and plan and it means mornings are not quite so hectic.
I started making this super seed granola, and then started craving something to offset the savoury, roasted nuttiness. While on a weekend away in beautiful Monart with some friends before Christmas, I fell in love with their divine compote at breakfast – but knew I’d have to find a way of making it without the oodles of sugar that a compote usually needs. A few hacks later, and I’ve arrived at this. It’s sweet, tart and fruity and the addition of ginger and cinnamon give it a nice warmth.
- 2 mixed punnets of berries of your choice – I went with blackberries and strawberries
- 1/2 glass of fresh orange juice
- 1/4 tsp of grated ginger
- 1/4 tsp of cinnamon
- 1. Place the fruit, spices and the juice into a pan over a medium heat.
- 2. As soon as it starts bubbling, reduce the heat slightly and start muddling, mashing and breaking up the fruit.
- 3. Continue to cook for 10-15 minutes, checking in to mash the fruit up every now and again.
- 4. And that's it! Store in a clean jar and serve over granola and natural yoghurt.