This is my new favourite breakfast. I’d been craving something Mexican and eggy and concocted these breakfast tacos based on what we had around the house, but I loved them so much I thought I’d share the recipe.
When the warm earthiness of the beans mixes with the gooey yum of the egg, and the creaminess of the avocado and the zingy freshness of the tomatoes and coriander… heaven.
First, a few things make this truly yum: proper tacos, and proper refried beans. You could give it a go with supermarket tortillas; thing is, they’re made with flour, and tacos are made from corn, so – not to sound like a taco snob (which I totally am btw) – the flavour is just completely different. We get ours from lovely Lily Ramirez who runs My Mexican Shop. She also does amazing giant bags of the most delicious corn tortilla chips.
The second thing that make this dish great is refried beans. I have a lovely recipe my mum gave me, but, when I went to grab a tin of kidney beans from the cupboard on Sunday morning I spotted a tin of La Sierra beans first and well, I just got a bit lazy, so I’ll share that recipe some other time.
If making these breakfast tacos for a gang, have bowls with chopped coriander, tomatoes, and sliced avocado on the table before serving up. A splash of hot salsa is a great addition too (I love the home-made Tapatío sauce that Mero Mero sell in their market in Temple Bar on Saturdays and always have a jar of La Valentina around too).
Meat lovers could add in some finely chopped fried chorizo, and you could easily leave out the cheese too if you want to make it that little bit healthier. I’d love to hear if you decide to give it a go!
- 2 corn tacos
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 avocado, sliced
- 1 tomato, roughly chopped
- Handful of fresh coriander, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon of refried beans
- Handful of mild cheddar, grated
- Get two pans on the go. In one, crack in your eggs and get them going.
- Plop a few tablespoons of the refried beans into a bowl and warm them in the microwave.
- Warm the tacos on both sides in a hot, dry pan.
- While they're still in the pan, spoon a little of the warmed refried beans onto each taco.
- Slide the fried eggs out of their pan and place one on top of each taco.
- Top with the chopped tomato, avocado and sprinkle in some cheese.
- Let the cheese melt a little before sliding the tacos onto a plate.
- Add some chopped coriander and serve with a wedge of lime and some hot sauce.